4/15/11

Have any of you known of anyone who receives Remicade infusions to develop lymphoma?


Have any of you known of anyone who receives Remicade infusions to develop lymphoma?
Here's my situation and I would appreciate any informed advice or answers about this:

I suffer from a number of health conditions, but I get infusions of Remicade every six weeks for psoriatic arthritis.

Over 3 months ago I became very ill with pneumonia, probably as a result of the immune system taking a hit from the Remicade. Right before I became ill I noted a swollen neck gland and it didn't go away through three rounds of very strong antibiotics.

My family has a high incidence of leukemia and lymphoma history.

I've been scheduled for a CT scan of the lymph node, but I haven't had it done yet. Scared of the results I guess. I've been unusually tired and lack energy, when normally I'm a very energetic person. Yesterday I could tell I am getting sick again, but it doesn't seem to be respiratory. It's a low grade fever that comes and goes and my arthritis has flared up hugely, despite the usual good results I get from the Remicade.

Thoughts?

- tlbrown42000
As a healthcare provider I can tell you that I have never seen that reaction from Remicade, but I believe it is a possibility that statistically happens, but not often. For heaven's sake, get the CT. We need to know what's up. But with your description of your other symptoms you could easily have an infection going on. I'm assuming you see a rheumatologist...get back in there; don't wait for your next scheduled six week appointment. This needs to be assessed and treated.

- Frank R
Sorry to hear that your not doing well. Honestly I had never heard of the medication Remicade before your question, but I did manage to find the following links dealing with your question. Hopefully, your CT will be negative if it is I would stop taking the Remicade if you have a familial history of lymphoma.

- barthebear
Dont panic yet. Take the CT scan and then write back since you will know more. Meanwhile I hope you can make yourself comfortable in some way . Watch tv or read for diversion until you know. God Bless you

- gillianprowe
I have Psoriasis and Rheumatoid Arthritis, along with mild Psoriatic Arthritis and Lupus. The first treatment they tried Methotrexate just one small 7.5mg pill and it sent me straight to intensive care. Since then they found out that I have a 'blood problem' every blood tests revealed 'atypical cells' which they thought to be Glandular Fever, only to state 'this will probably be a Benign Gammopathy of Unknown Significance! Once this came to light, well the Rheumatologist has not and never will offer any immune suppressant treatment for the Psoriasis or the Arthritis. I ended up have a bone marrow biopsy and last year they phenotype my lymphocytes which came back for WM. Now we wait and watch, see if I succumb to leukemia or lymphoma. However they did give me the Pneumovax, a vaccine against pneumonia. I would go for the CT Scan, because the sooner they know the better off you will be. Two years ago I was having acute onset lower abdominal pain that was severe but lasted thirty minutes and then went? While waiting for a renal ultrasound to rule out kidney stones, the pain returned and I ended up in ER. They ruled out kidney stones, opted for Gynecological and so I had a barrage of tests, all of which were normal? However they wanted to admit me and do explorative surgery? I refused! All the tests were normal! The pain returned and I saw my Physician, we opted for a MRI and waited. I returned for the results and my Physician said 'Thank God it was not a tumour of your spine'. I assume he too was worried? The problem a bulging disc and when it bulged it hit the nerve root, inducing pain. Therefore go for the CT Scan!

- Eve
With Remicade, I know that there is a big question mark around that drug and it's association to cancer.

Lymphoma often produces fever, night sweats, nausea, tiredness and swollen glands. The lymph nodes are really your immune system, that produce your white blood cells to fight off disease and infection.

When your immune system is down considerably you are great risk for serious complications from infections etc. Have you had a white blood cell count? If it's low then your immune system is down. I sure hope it's not lymphoma. It can advance quite rapidly so please don't put off the test. I know because my young son had it. He's fine now as it was caught early and that is what you want to do for the best outcome.

Best of luck.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: Have any of you known of anyone who receives Remicade infusions to develop lymphoma?

No comments:

Post a Comment