5/13/11

Does my kitten have feline leukemia?


Does my kitten have feline leukemia?
I adopted a kitten from a local shelter about 2 weeks ago. He was sent home with antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. When the antibiotics were finishes he started showing symptoms again (runny nose, congestion, watery eyes, sneezing). I took him to my vets office and they said that his lungs were clear and it was just in his nose and gave me more antibiotics to give him. Then the vet said that he could have feline leukemia but he was too little to be tested and to just keep it in the back of my mind that it is a possibility. He is playing, eating, drinking, going potty as usual but he is just so congested. What are the chances that he does have this deadly disease and can he be tested? He only ways 1 pound and my family is completely in love with him but he can't seem to kick this URI. What should I do??
the kitten is about 7 weeks old. I went and adopted him on a wed but the shelter said that because of the uri he would have to stay for antibiotics. Six days later they called and said that I could pick him up because some of the other kittens were getting worse and he was doing better. They didn't want him to have a relapse. It seems that he has already. I adopted him for the same reason that anyone does. I believe that animals pick their people. When we went to look at the kittens he was crawling up the cage door trying to get to us. He was beautiful and found a way into our hearts immediately. Other than a stuffy nose he was not sickly. This is still the only symptom that he shows. He plays with the dogs, chases my daughter, eats plenty of food, and definitely fills his litter box.

- AndromedaStar
Here is a good link for you: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

I would not worry about it right now. Feline leukemia is not that common, it is much more likely he just has an infection or allergy. At this point your only choices are to wait it out, or take him back to the shelter. I wouldn't give up on him yet, I think he will be ok.

- HOLliSt3RRBRiTtx
I don't think your cat has feline leukemia. My cat had it and died from it, and you could tell he had it when he was alive. He wasn't playful like your cat, and he was too weak to eat by himself and I had to feed him. It was a very sad time in my life, and I regret not putting him down sooner. I couldn't do it though because I was so attached to him. I regret being so selfish...

I don't think your cat should still be sick... seems like whatever it was should of went away by now, and not needed more antibiotics. I would take your kitten to another vet for a second opinion.

- rubyrose
I have had five cats with feline leukemia. each one of them had different symptoms. your little kitten just might have a weak immune system. when he gets bigger he will probably out grow it. but I cant say its not leukemia. so get him tested when you can.

- karyn
Cats get URIs all the time, and the symptoms are worse when they are young or old and when they are stressed. My kitty is FeLV negative, and has a chronic herpes infection. He shows symptoms periodically, though they are controlled with Lysine supplements (you may want to ask your vet about this for your kitty).

It is always a possibility, and you should definitely have kitty tested when he is older (2 months), but I wouldn't obsess about it. FeLV is fairly rare, whereas Upper Respiratory Infections are almost universal in cats from shelters.

- Percy-and-Penny
How old is this kitten? And he only weighs a POUND? Most shelters won't adopt out kittens until they're at least eight weeks in age and two pounds. And many spay and neuter them at that age before they go out.

Did the shelter not test for Feline Leukemia? Most do because otherwise it can end up spreading through the shelter if animals are kept together. Your vet is WRONG about the kitten being "too young" to be tested. The shelter I volunteer with tests all our kittens at eight weeks old.

Feline Leukemia doesn't cause cold symptoms. It's attacks the white blood cells and makes it hard for the animal to fight infection. So it could just be a very bad infection that needs a second course of antibiotics. Take this kitten to another more knowledgeable vet and have him tested.

And to the person saying Feline Leukemia is "not that common" you may want to educate yourself.

Give your answer to this question below! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: Does my kitten have feline leukemia?

No comments:

Post a Comment