5/15/11

I need some information on acute leukemia?


I need some information on acute leukemia?
Thank god it's not for me or my family - I'm writing about it, actually, and I need to know a few things.

-When/What stage does it become untreatable at?
-What are the treatments/effects of treatments?
-Symptoms?
-Any other info on it would be greatly appreciated.

If you can answer any of that, I would be really grateful - thanks (:

- avi
You should be able to do a simple google search for the answers to these questions.

- kelleys4girls
Iin my case, my symptoms were a constant headache that went away with ibuprofen, but always came back. Felt like a severe sinus headache. And fatigue. I wanted to sleep all the time.

My treatment was induction chemotherapy, 7 days long, 24 hours a day IV. Eight weeks later, I had consolidation chemotherapy, the same as the first. Consolidation chemo was just an extra insurance that bone marrow was repaired

Effects of treatment...where to start. Of course I lost all my hair. On the positive side, I didn't have to shave my legs for nearly 8 months after diagnosis. :) I lost approximately 40 pounds. During the 3-4 weeks following each chemo treatment, I bled freely. From everywhere I could bleed, i did. Nose, ears, mouth just for starters. I received blood and blood products to give my blood stream some ability to work normally. Some leukemia patients fight infections as a result of chemotherapy, but my problem was the bleeding.

I went into remission following my induction chemotherapy. It was suggested that I have a bone marrow transplant immediately following remission. My brother was found to be a perfect match, but due to the bleeding problems, my doctors gave me something like a 15% chance of surviving the transplant. That was too small a chance to risk...I also had 4 young children at home that I needed to be with..So I refused the transplant. That was 6 years ago and I'm considered 'cured' now.

On a different note, its only been in the last 3 or 4 months that I'm willing to discuss the whole ordeal. And the emotional scars from the treatment as well as having a death sentence hanging over your head lasted until I hit my 5 year mark.

Give your answer to this question below! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: I need some information on acute leukemia?

No comments:

Post a Comment