5/9/11

My doctor says my iron is off the charts it is so low.. how bad is this?


My doctor says my iron is off the charts it is so low.. how bad is this?
My doctor called me today to tell me that my iron was low. He gave me 2 different numbers, one was a percentage which was the iron saturation number... 17%. The other number was 8. He was quite concerned and said it was way too low and wants me to decide whether I want to take pills or to have an iron infusion which could be done in a few hours vs 6 months on pills. My question is, what was the other number referring to? I thought he said creatinin but know that cant be right. Also, what would be most efficient? The infusion or the pills? He said there can be problems with both so its a hard decision to make. I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia but am stage 1 with a WBC of between 15K and 25K and some lymph node involvement now. The doctor who called was my oncologist/hematologist and not my GP. Please feel free to email me at ravensgirl62@hotmail.com .. sorry had to do it that way or I couldn't post it for some reason.. with any helpful answers. Thanks so much.
Wendy

- ladystang
i would take the pills as i hate needles.

- TMK
The second number could be your Hemoglobin. Your low iron indicates that you are anemic, losing blood somewhere. I have a friend who would become severely anemic following her heavy menstrual cycle. Hope this helps.

- Susan Yarrawonga
Perhaps you could eat a lot of foods rich in iron such as red meat, nuts and wheat germ and other iron rich foods.

Add your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.

Do you find what you need? Look here!


Orignal From: My doctor says my iron is off the charts it is so low.. how bad is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment