5/22/11

Question about leukemia....?


Question about leukemia....?
I work at a small law office and we are all really close. My bosses wife was diagnosed with AML (leukemia) for the 2nd time about a year and a half ago. She is only 31. She had her second bone marroe transplant a little over a year ago. The first time she had it was about 6-7 years ago and she had the transplant and got well pretty quick. It came back 5 years later and she really has just never gotten better. Well, about 3 weeks ago she went to the doc for some bumps on her leg and they did a byopsy and it is leukemia. They don't know what kind, they would have to do a bone marrow byopsy and those are painful. I don't think they are going to do it bc if it has spread beyond that one spot then there really is nothing they can do. Her body couldn't handle anymore and they can't do a 3rd bone marrow transplant. Starting next week they are doing spot treament radiation on the spot hoping that will clear it up...I guess my ? is...chances of it being in that one spot are slim? continued....
She is feeling fine right now. But like I said she never really got better...she had some good days but never great. I feel the doctors are just trying to give her some hope with this spot radiation, but if it has spread then the spot radiation will not work. Is there anyone out there that knows anything about this...or been through it? Thank you
Well, The last time she had leukemia she had those same bumps, but they were on her back. So I know that it can cause those bumps
and yes, she is being treated for leukemia.

- olympics junkie
With each relapse, the chance of cure & / or long-term survival diminish.. The likelihood that the leukemic lumps on her leg are confined to that one spot are negligible..it doesn't look as if she has a bright future...hopefully she can be kept comfortable & have some good time yet...

- midnightmoon62
I am not really sure what this spot radiation is?? Leukemia does not cause cancerous lumps on the body like that. This is a different type of cancer.
And yes, bone marrow biopsys are painful, but not so much so that they would not do one. If she was being treated for leukemia the MUST do a bone marrow biopsy. The whole procedure only takes about 20 mins and the painful part is only about 30 secs to a minute if the person doing the proceedure knows what they are doing.

Whatever she is being treated for now is not leukemia.

- lisa c
Ive never heard of luekemia causing lumps ,my cusin died when he was 15 from luekemia and never had lumps!

- HJ17
Hi. I have leukemia and I have never had any bumps. I'm not sure what they are treating her for. I don't have radiation. I do chemo every day. I was diagnosed 8 years ago and they gave me 1 to 3 years to live. It is so up to each person how they can handle things, and how nasty it wants to get. I think she should get a different doctor and find out what is going on. As I said, I've never had a lumps or bumps. I don't get the marrow testing done anymore, what's the sense, I know what I have and it's not worth it to me. I hope she can find a good doctor and find out what is truly going on. Good luck to all of you. It's nice that you care so much.

- Cee
i was diagnosed in 2001 with AML and i have been in remission since august 2001....
please send my love to her as i do know what she going through, i havent had a relapse (touch wood) i have 2 daughters to take care of, i dont know how id handle it...tell her to smile and pray it sure does help...and no matter wat smile and be strong....cause if u arent strong for urself no one else will be....tell her to take care and i'll pray for her....xx

What do you think? Answer below! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: Question about leukemia....?

No comments:

Post a Comment