4/15/11

Low WBC sign of leukemia?


Low WBC sign of leukemia?
I had a CBC done recently that shows my WBC as being low (3.8). My doctor drew blood again today, to see if it was a fluke and my WBC normalizes, or if it gets lower and is then a possible sign of leukemia.

I thought LOW RBC and HIGH WBC were indicators of leukemia - why would a low white count indicate leukemia?

I've done a little googling and learned just enough to hang myself - I've been unreasonably fatigued lately, had lots of headaches (like every day), and have an unexplained cough. The headaches may have been caused by a cataract (removed today), and the cough may be a GI issue, which will be looked into later this week.

I don't know whether to blow this off until the results come in, or start learning what I can about leukemia and what to expect if test results come out positive (including aspiration/biopsy).

ALSO - if I have leukemia, am I better off at Duke University Medical Center in Durham NC, or Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY?

- dog lover
A low WBC generally would NOT indicate Leukemia. I have never heard of leukemia with a low white blood count. Leukemia is widley growing out of control cells in blood/ bonemarrow the leads to a very high WBC. I have heard great things about Duke but never heard of Roswell Paek Cancer Institute I would personally suggest that Sloan Kettering Memorial would be the best in NY. However To me it does NOT sound like Leukemia but i would suggest seeing another doctor. Dont worry about it too much untill you find your answers.

- Cookie
sorry, I don't know much about leukemia but will keep you in my prayers.

- zelocokitty
High WBC is the sign of Leukemia NOT low count. The higher the count the more aggressive the leukemia

- luke
Yes, a low WBC count could be the first sign of leukemia. It might mean that the bone marrow's (decreased) production of "normal" white blood cells has been already affected by the rapidly growing population of leukemic blasts (imagine overcrowding). Soon after, these blasts will go out to the blood stream and will be best appreciated on a peripheral blood smear.

- just_hide
Leukemia is identified by the number of white blood cells. My little boy had 40,000 WBC when he was diagnosed. We are supposed to have about 5000-14,000.
HOwever a body will make more WBC if there is an infection somewhere.
Do you bruise easily?
Have you not been able to fight infection lately?
Pale skin color?

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: Low WBC sign of leukemia?

No comments:

Post a Comment