4/16/11

Swelling gums from hydroxyurea or leukemia?


Swelling gums from hydroxyurea or leukemia?
Mom is taking hydroxyurea to prevent further cancer increase. Hydroxyurea is chemopills. Anyways, people who would answer this should know it. This is my mom's only chance to live for a little bit more. Otherwise, the doctor told her she will die sometime in january or february. I remember she couldnt eat in the early symptoms of leukemia due to gum swelling. I fear for the worst but I deserve to know the truth. I am making preparations in case so dont feel guilty to tell me the truth. I made my research on hydroxyurea and all I can find is sores in the gum if overdose occurs. She is taking quite a lot because about 3 times a day dosage. Now she is taking 6 times a day dosage. She told me that the swelling of gum is due to hydroxyurea but im critical. I need a little help from someone who knows medicine.

- midnightmoon62
First, I do not have first hand experience with chemo pills.

That being said, I have an idea. Chemo in general lowers your blood counts. One of those counts is the platelet count. Every time my platelet count has been low, in addition tto the chemo induced mouth sores, I had sore bleeding and swollen gums.

For one, the same thing that causes the mouth sores will cause sores or inflamation of the gums.

Second, your gums are very susceptable to bleeding while the platelets are that low. In fact, during treatment I either 'brush' my teeth with my finger or a very very very soft toothbrush rxed by the doc.

- Mo
It sounds like you eat too many salty corn nuts.

- luke
It's from the leukemia. Does your mom have AML, with an M5 (monoblastic) FAB subtype? I guess her leukocyte count is very high, since the Hydroxyurea has been increased to 3 grams/day. The gum swells because the leukemic cells rapidly multiply in it. How old is your mom? I was just wondering why did she not undergo chremotherapy.

Add your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.

Do you find what you need? Look here!

Detecting Early Signs of Lymphoma Symptoms







howisurvivedlymphoma.blogspot.com There are many types of cancer and it is best that you become aware of the symptoms of signs of each so that you won't be surprised after spending lots of time thinking about things and realizing that you are already infected with one. Many kinds of the cancer disease are hard to determine, especially at the first phase, which is a vital stage to know if you have this so that you can undergo the necessary medications while the sickness can still be cured. One kind of cancer with symptoms that are confusing is known as lymphoma. Most of the signs and changes on your body that will occur if you have this can also happen in other kinds of illnesses. This kind of cancer starts in the lymphocytes, which can be found in the body's immune system. The condition will develop into solid tumor on the lymphoid cells. This illness is categorized in many types that are part of an extensive group of disorders that are referred to as hematological neoplasms. If you are starting to feel vital changes on your system, you must not disregard this. Check these common symptoms of this illness and consult your doctor for more information and proper treatment. 1. It is a good habit to check your body for any kinds of lumps that are already growing at certain areas. In this case, enlarged lymph nodes usually develop in the groin, armpits and neck. You will notice these if you are going to inspect your body when you are done bathing or when you are changing ...

Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.

Orignal From: Swelling gums from hydroxyurea or leukemia?

No comments:

Post a Comment