5/10/11

My Kitten has Ear Mites: Was Treated a Week and Still Showing Signs!?


My Kitten has Ear Mites: Was Treated a Week and Still Showing Signs!?
I just got a beautiful baby kitten a week ago. I brought her straight to the vet, where she received all of her shots, was tested for FIV and feline leukemia (both negative), and was treated for ear mites. The vet cleaned her ears, and gave me 'revolution' which I gave her at home.

It has been a week, and the poor thing still has signs of ear mites (discoloured gunk in her ears). Is this normal? Do I need to wait a bit longer before worrying, or does she need another treatment?

I would like to avoid taking her to the vet if possible (though of course I will if this is the only solution). She is going for a second round of shots in 2 weeks, but I don't want to have to wait that long if it is causing her discomfort.

The vet told me that she would be fine within a few days, but I am quite worried because I don't want her to feel yucky, and I have two other cats that I am concerned about. I kept the cats separate for the first few days (as recommended by the vet), but now they are sharing common areas (again, as recommended by the vet). They are not coming into direct contact with each other (still being tentative but improving).


I am really worried! What should I do?

- sunshine10
You might just be seeing dirt in her ears..i would take a qtip with some baby oil and wipe around inside the ears..DO NOT GO INSIDE the ear..just the outer inside if you know what i mean,,they take a round cotton pad..put it on your finger and go inside of her ear and swish it around and take out the "gook" . The only way for sure to tell if she has mites is to look at the dirt through a microscope...i am assuming this is what your vet did?.
Your cat will be fine for the next 2 weeks..but if you are that concerend i am pretty sure your vet would take another look for you and just maybe charge you for a "recheck" exam or maybe not charge you at all.

- Caleb
Yea it takes a couple weeks for it to really clear up (My cat just had the same issue) Cleaning the ears with a cotton swab and baby oil helps and takes some of the irritation away from your cat.

- Stacey
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use a q-tip in your cat's ears. A cat's ear canal is shaped a lot differently than ours & you run the risk of rupturing their tympanic membrane (ear drum). You can moisten a cotton ball or washcloth & clean out the gunk. Basically ear mites burrow deep down & all the dead ear mites & their debris has to work it's way up the ear canal & on out. Occasionally I have seen cats need two treatments of Revolution to get rid of ear mites. If your cat has just been seen there I'd call them up & see if they'd just give you another dose instead of kitty having to make another trip, When she comes in for her booster vaccines I'd ask a doctor or tech to give a little look down her ears just to make sure the Revolution's doing what it's supposed to.

Add your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.

Do you find what you need? Look here!

Adult Smoking Prevalence and Secondhand Smoke Exposure







CDC briefing on the September release of CDC Vital Signs reports, Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults Aged ≥18 Years --- United States, 2009 and Nonsmokers' Exposure to Secondhand Smoke --- United States, 1999--2008. The briefing is led by Thomas R. Frieden, MPH, MD, Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Comments on this video are allowed in accordance with our comment policy: www.cdc.gov This video can also be viewed at www2c.cdc.gov
Video Rating: 0 / 5

Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.

Orignal From: My Kitten has Ear Mites: Was Treated a Week and Still Showing Signs!?

No comments:

Post a Comment