5/9/11

my neighbors cats have feline leukemia. should I be worried?


my neighbors cats have feline leukemia. should I be worried?
They come over and hang out every now and then. They say that is is really contagious, but they are sure to wash their hands before touching my cat and dog. Should I be worried about my pets catching it?

- Whitney F
First, cats spread it to other cats through mucus (mouth/nose/poo). Dogs don't catch it. Unless your neighbors have cat snot all over their clothes and hands, then your cats should be fine.

I'd be worried about the infected cats having contact with your cats though. Them rubbing their mouth along your cat's body can spread it, sharing a litter box, etc.

- anna s
Be cautious. Ask your neighbors to wash their hands when they come over so you can be sure of it. Your dog can't get it. Make sure your cats get a vaccine for feline leukemia every year.

- Chalice
It's spread through contact between bodily fluid i.e. mating, fighting or mutual grooming. It isn't spread on hands and clothing. Gets your cats tested for and then vaccinated against feline leukaemia.

Chalice

- who me???
Not unless you have a cat who has not been vaccinated.

- eyJude
yes... your cats can get it by eating after the other cat... or touching noses...
You can get a feline lukemia shot for it but I am not sure if it will protect the cat toatally.
check with your vet.

Add your own answer in the comments! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: my neighbors cats have feline leukemia. should I be worried?

No comments:

Post a Comment