5/8/11

Should I be an organ Donor?


Should I be an organ Donor?
I had acute lymphoblastic leukemia as a child, I was diagnosed when I was 12 and finished treatment at 15. I'm 23 now and I have organ donor on my license but I've been wondering if I should. I'm not allowed to donate blood or bone marrow.

I feel like I should allow my surviving relatives fill the doctors in on my history and let the doctors make the call. I just don't know if there is always time, if a relative cannot be reached but it shows I'm a donor on my license do they take the organs and use them? I don't really know how it all works.

- $ $
no

- Helen Scott
From what I understand, the "donor" on your drivers license gives them permission to take your organs only in the event that they cannot locate your family. Organs go through a lot of tests before they're inserted into the next person...I would assume that if there was something wrong with your organs, the hospital would catch it before they gave the organs out.

I suppose the alternative (although it sounds a little morbid) is to put a note in your wallet explaining. That way if you're on the slab and they go through your wallet, they'll know.

I'm sorry you were so sick. :(

- J B
Leave the donor notation on your license. The donor coordinator will make the determination at time of death whether you have any suitable organs/skin/eyes that can be donated, based on your previous health history. Your family doesn't need to make this decision, nor does your physician. It is the job of the donor coordinator to screen out all unsuitable donors and this is done when you die.

- Real Life
Hmmm don't think so, but check with a doctor next time you're there.
If you can't you could think about encouraging others to become donors, it saves so many lives.

What do you think? Answer below! Leukemia Problems Remedies | FIGHT CANCER INFO
Leukemia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, risk factors, treatment of this blood-related cancer.



Orignal From: Should I be an organ Donor?

No comments:

Post a Comment